Quietly, Facebook enabled on Messenger encryption functionality. Encrypted messages are normally unreadable by anyone other than the person who sent the message and the one who received it.
It’s still not perfect, but it works
These are not all the features of Messenger that are available when you send encrypted messages to your contacts. The limitations are many, for example, it is not possible to send videos, GIF and it is impossible to create group communications.
In addition, the Messenger Web version can not send or receive encrypted messages. Only iOS and Android versions of Messenger are yet compatible.
How to encrypt your messages on Messenger
- On Facebook Messenger, tap the icon that allows you to write a new message.
- Press the “Secret” label. It appears in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select the person you want to send an encrypted message.
- In addition to text, you can send photos, emoji and stickers
- If you wish, you can make your ephemeral message. Just tap the clock icon that appears in the lower right corner of the window. Your message will automatically disappear after the time period you selected.
The encrypted messaging Messenger is obviously optional. If you do not select the text “Secret” will use traditional communication system of Facebook.